Friday, August 22, 2008

Mos Def Maxers


So the results are in....Max has hearing loss. We have suspected and been looking into it for about a year. The ENT finally got serious and ordered a BAER test. This is where they put him under while the Audiologist runs a number of tests without noise. This was necessary because he failed traditional ear tests, but it was unclear if it was because he was stubborn/uninterested or he had hearing loss. For this test, they emit sound into the ear and watch how the brain reacts.

You can see from the results above that with 2 ears without background noise Max can hear at a 35 decible level at best (O with an X in the middle). With one ear his hearing is a 60 at worst (individual O's and X's). So if you talk to him in a normal voice, he may not pick it up unless he's looking at you and there is little background noise. This qualifies as a mild to moderate hearing defficiency and will require hearing aids in both ears. This should help with the language/speach delays that he is experiencing. He's been in speach therapy for a year, but results will hopefully improve dramatically with hearing aids.


Since they had to put him under he came home in a drunken stupor. It was pretty funny as he was laughing at everything and couldn't walk more than a few feet.


What's better when you're a drunk 4 year old than a milk shake.

8 comments:

Kelltie said...

Well, that doesn't sound like it was very much fun for Max. But that is great that you know what to do to help him now! And you guys look like you had a great time at the fair! I'm excited for when we go!

KSA said...

Hey Jamie, I just found your blog and so happy that I did....I miss you in YW ..... and I love the picture of you in the mauve tub....Hope things go well for max and family....Laci told me you talked to her at church today....hopefully she will be a good resource for you

ksa

onecent said...

poor guy! I am so glad that you found the answers you have been searching for though! *bighug*
My nephew has a similar situation. he is 4 as well... he has a sensory something... I am forgetting the exact term right now. but if you compare it to playing the piano, he will hear one note at a time, but if you were playing many notes, they would jumble together and he wouldn't process anything. not sure if that is the same idea as Max or not... but interesting anyway..
good to see pics up on your blog! WOOT

Douglas Family said...

Hugs to all of you. I am sure you are happy to have answers, but hearing aids will ikely take some time to adjust to. I hope the adjustment is an easy one for all of you. John thinks I need my hearing tested too, but I am stubborn. Lots of love you all of you and best of luck to Jackson as school starts back.

Zoo Keeper said...

Sounds just like one of my friends little boy here in Vegas! He has made HUGE...HUGE improvements since being fitted for hearing aids! I hope that is a ray of good hope for you! I hope you don't care that I keep blog snooping! I am so glad to have found you guys! talk soon!

jewly said...

I found your blog through Jill Galloway. Well we ended up in Memphis, TN.

nikki said...

Okay Jamie, so I'm stalking you too! Found you through Jill - please feel free to visit at the5watsons.blogspot.com :)

So sorry to hear about Max but it's probably good to have some answers. Hopefully, the hearing aids will be helpful and he won't always be pulling them out! That's what my boys would do!! So fun to see your blog...

Unknown said...

I'm glad you were able to figure that out with Max. All I can say is that you are an amazing person and a fantastic mom. I miss hanging out with you. :)