Thursday, March 10, 2011

I don't even know who I am anymore

Anyone who knows me knows that I am into almost anything crafty as long as it doesn't require a sewing machine. To be honest, I'm a little afraid of them. My MIL once gave me a used one an within weeks I had messed it up so badly that it was not fixable. This left me broken and shattered (just kidding) and less than excited to try anything that included a sewing machine.

Well time heals all wounds right? A couple months back, I was shopping for some fabric to cover bulletin boards for Jackson and Max with my friend Esther. She was inspired to make a dress they had on display for her daughter and asked if I would like to make one for Sadie. I agreed, and then simultaneously winced, cringed and gritted my teeth. I think the most stressful part of the whole thing was picking out the fabric, but I must say it came together nicely.

Because I don't own a sewing machine, Esther and I took turns on hers. I was instantly smitten! This baby has a self threader, button controlled speed, and all the bells and whistles. Thanks to Esther (and her machine), I love to sew!!!
This dress took hours and hours to make, but for my first big sewing project, I think it turned out great! (Just don't look too close!)


A few things come to mind when I look at Sadie in this dress:
1-She better not have a growth spurt anytime soon.
2- I am either going to frame or bronze it when she grows out of it. Do they still bronze things?
3- If I were to sell it on Etsy, I would have to charge about $649.99 for it to be worth my time.
4- The JGP3 pose must be in the blood. (am I right Parrish's?)


I wish I had a nicer camera so you could see the detail on the back better. The ruffles were probably the hardest part. Thanks Esther for your help on that!

Now I'm just waiting for my new machine to arrive in the mail to start on another project....this time something much simpler!

Why do I even bother with the head bands? One of these days she might keep one on!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Woot! Woot! Nice job lady. You have far exceeded my sewing skills with your first try. I can't wait to see what you do next.

Beccarigg said...

Um, wowie wow WOW! I cannot sew at all so I am majorly impressed at how amazing that came out, especially for your first project! So darling! (and such a cute model to show it off : )

onecent said...

HAHAHA! First, I ADORE it! second, I was in the same place as you about 6 years ago... I hated to sew. cried when I sxat at my machine. ripped thread. etc... Renae was the one who inspired me. We made matching swimsuits for all the girls in the ML ward. They helped me A LOT with mine but it was my first project. Now I make costumes for Ciara when she is in plays.You still wouldn't want to look closly at my threads, AND I do more seam ripping than actually sewing, but I can at least do it now. The last "easy to sew" pattern I did took me about 4 hours. I think it would take a normal person one hour. LOL
Have fun with your new adventure!

Baby Oven said...

I did not know I had contributed to sewing angst. I would have helped you to learn. It will get better, and there are simple machines out there that can make life fun. Good job practicing your "I can do hard things" motto!!!

Baby Oven said...

Sorry, Baby Oven comment was actually Nana using Baby Oven computer. Nana

Hot Diggity Daws said...

so amazing! All you need is a girl who will wonder around and you become a woodworker and a seamstress! Love it! That dress is too awesome! Hope you learn everything and can teach me some day!