Thursday, September 29, 2011

Where Boys become Men

Last weekend the boys went on a boys only trip up to the Boundary Waters. John has been planning this camp out for months with the Pollei and Fairbourne boys, but kept it secret from Jackson and Max. When John finally told them, they were ecstatic.

When they came home and I glanced through the pictures on the camera, I knew they had a blast. Want to know how I know? Max is actually smiling in the posed pictures!! That boy can't fake a smile to save his life.
John has been known to tip a canoe or two with little boys in them, so I was a bit worried about Max's hearing aids...umm and the boys too. I'm happy to say they all survived!
Max couldn't wait to show me this picture of him in the fog.


At the end of the season water levels are pretty low so the boys had to do a little more portaging than they expected.
The boys (John, Steve, and Doug included) had a blast fishing, getting dirty, staying up late by the campfire and acting like ruffians.

By the end of the trip the boys had turned into full fledged men. Check out the muscles on these guys. I think Collin has the best "I'm a tough burly man now" face, don't you? (red trunks)
It makes me happy to think that John loves to spend quality time with them forming happy lifelong memories and that he is passing on his love of the outdoors with them.


1 comment:

Papa Parrish said...

Wow, I am really impressed. I really was jealous that I couldn't go, but after seeing the manly men, there just wouldn't have been a place for a pasty white nana..... even though I can eat like a man if I put my mind to it in the great outdoors!