Saturday, August 28, 2010

Great River Relay 2010

If there is anyone out there looking for proof that I am crazy, well here it is.
That's right, John and I decided to join some friends on a little adventure known as
****RAGNAR****
For those not privy to what Ragnar is all about here is the gist: Run, drive, sleep?, repeat x3. Basically, it's a 193 mile relay with 11 of your closest friends, or at least friends that you are willing to sit in a van with after they have just run 5 miles in 90 degree weather. It smells just as wonderful as it sounds. Everyone takes 3 legs that total anywhere from 13 to 22 miles. It's crazy, and fun all at the same time. I think the fun kicks in when you become delirious from sleep deprivation and everything seems hilarious. My legs were 6.8, 3.7 and 4.5 miles totaling 15 miles. John had a tougher route: 5.2, 5.4 and 6 mile legs totaling 16.6 miles.
I didn't take many pictures because a few hours in I thought I lost my camera, so I pretty much got before and after shots. (found my camera 3/4 of the way through, it turns out I have only lost my brain)


As we were driving to begin this 24 hours of madness, Carey and Natalie spotted the best cheese curd place they had ever been to. We stopped in and it did not disappoint. Eating a ton of fried food hours before a race may have not been the smartest thing we've ever done, but it was worth it. I'd do it again just to taste those curds....mmmmmm.
I would fill you in on all of the sweaty details, but it might bore you. Let's just say that it was HOT, HUMID, AND HARD, and I'm glad it's over!! Here's John and I after running forever and a day on about 2 hours of sleep. We look about as good as we smell.
All in all it was a great trip and kept me motivated to stay in shape throughout the summer. It's still to early to tell if we'll make this an annual event. I'm hoping it will be a little like child birth was for me and I'll eventually forget about the pain and just remember the end result. Time will tell.

4 comments:

Adrianne said...

Sounds like a blast! Matt did something similar in Oregon called Hood to Coast, and he loved almost every minute of it! So fun you could do it with John.

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Now I know you have been away too long...anyone who gets excited about eating curds and old cheese is a foreigner to me. It is official: You have grown Midwestern roots! :-)

Beccarigg said...

You will forget the pain, Ragnar is totally like child birth, you forget the rough parts and will get to the point where you actually can't wait to doing it again! ; ) That's a bummer though that you guys had such hot weather. Running in heat and humidity is the worst kind of torture! At least you had John and the cheese curds for comfort ; )

Papa Parrish said...

Good for you! Nana