Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Short Story Long/ Pinterest Challenge

So I have somewhat of a confession to make:  i love pinterest!  For those who know me, this should come as no surprise.  I have been long known for being a blog stalker.  I love to sift through diy blogs  for ideas and inspiration.  It's an addiction really.  So when my friends started talking about pinterest, I knew I had to jump on the ole' bandwagon.  

One of the first things I pinned was this headboard.  I was instantly smitten.  I knew that I wanted to make something like it for my spare bedroom.   

So why is this a long story when it could be short?  Well a few things fell into place for it to happen.  

First, while on the lookout for pallets, I met the cutest old man named Vernon who gave me one for free.  I was driving by his house as he was cutting pallets up for firewood and decided to stop by to see if I could buy one from him.  This guy was off the charts adorable.  He showed me a few of his wood projects, one of which included a toilet plunger he turned into a table/beer holder.  Serious, he's now my adopted Grandpa.  Think of the UP grandpa, but taller and happy and you've got Vernon.



So I had the wood, and the inspiration.  Now all I needed was a good kick in the behind to get me started.  Here is where Sherry from younghouselove.com  comes in.  Her and a few other diy bloggers are having a pinterest challenge.  The idea is to take something you've pinned and to put your spin on it.  
So this my friends is my spin.  I changed it up a bit by staining it walnut and stenciling a flower.  The best part?  The whole thing cost $34!!  As I mentioned before, Vernon gave me the wood, and I already had the stain and paint from previous project, so all I had to buy was the stencil.


So all because of Pinterest, I have a new BFF/Grandpa Friend, a new headboard, and new inspiration every day.  
i
heart
pinterest!

....and younghouselove, and bowerpower, and ana-white 



5 comments:

Marci said...

Looks fabulous. I love all the charm and character that pallet wood offers. And the bonus of a new grandpa - how great is that!

ARK said...

looks totally fabulous! I want to do this for our guest bedroom...need to find the time because I drool over these constantly!

Erin said...

Love the headboard! I may have to copy! Also, I love all the vacation pix. Definitely jealous!

Papa Parrish said...

DARLING!

Unknown said...

I LOve pinterest! Way cute headboard. :). Love that you have an adopted grandpa.