Thursday, August 20, 2009

Dare I say?

I'm 30!!


Uggghhh. I guess it's not that bad. After having a mini melt down of sorts because of what little I feel I've accomplished in 3 long decades, I decided that I've been living a 30's life for quite some time, why deny it? I am in fact married, have 3 kids, a mortgage.....and the true indicator......a blasted mini-van.


Do you ever fell like you have to re-evaluate your expectations? Having kids taught me that really quick, notably my first kid. When I was in my late teens/early twenties I pretty much thought I would have life completely figured out and perhaps be a rocket scientist or win a Pulitzer by the time I was 30......because that would be a lifetime away. Well here I am 30 yrs of age with no awards in my empty trophy case, just a mini van and crushed cheerios under my table. I guess it is yet again time to re-evaluate a few things.


I've finally decided that life flies by fast and if you don't stop to enjoy it once in a blue moon, you are going to miss life itself. That official awards and accolades are just things that get shoved into a scrapbook or left on a shelf to form dust. What I really want is to love my life, awards or not. I want to realize every day that what I have is better and that comes in the form of hugs, slimy kisses and I love you's on post-its. Here are my 5 goals to make that happen in my 30th year:

1. Enjoy every bit of Max as much as Christie Parrish does.

2. Don't rush the baby phase with Sadie. With my other two I was always looking forward and thinking yeah he's sitting, but when will he crawl.

3. Spend more time with Jackson and less time cleaning and trying to be perfect because he's probably a little neglected these days.

4. Give John a break (every now and then) :0) He's starting school this week and will probably need a little slack.

5. Stop worrying so much about this extra baby weight....no more grabbing my baby rolls, or wincing when I pass a mirror.


If I can do this, I'll buy myself my own shiny trophy for my next b-day, but by that point I probably won't want one!

8 comments:

Douglas Family said...

I think you deserve a trophy! I love your goals. We could all make some like that to live in the moment and not dwell upon the past or future too much! Hope your birthday was great!

You asked for it! said...

You're so awesome! Those are some great goals. Hope your birthday was fantastic. ps - you could never enjoy every part of max as much as I do. :)
-Christie

The Ferrins said...

I love your enthusiasm! Seriously I think we all need to re-evaluate sometimes, and reality is our goals change, and thats OK.

PS. If it makes you feel better, I don't think you look or act a day older than 25 :) Plus Mini-van mom's are awesome, I can't wait to be rockin mine in a few years!

Papa Parrish said...

I think you look fabulous, and always exoticly beautiful. I am amazed at your organization and your dedication to the loved ones in your life, and I applaud your goals. I hope I was as together at 30 as you. Nana

Hot Diggity Daws said...

We would all be doomed if we held ourselves hostage to the lofty goals set in our early teens!!

Love the new perspective. Who doesn't love mini vans and smashed cheerios. Why all the 30 hype? Clearly created by people who had not yet hit the golden 30.

The unfortunate truth is when we plunk out kids young we start living the life of a 30 year old early.

Perhaps this means we will be living the high life at 55 when all those other suckers have teenagers!

emily said...

#6. That your loved and adored!!!

And at any point you want to swap lives just let me know. LOL! (minus John;))

Lindsay & Josh said...

Might I add, that I saw you yesterday and there's no baby rolls to even be ignored....you looked great! Hope your trip to the homeland goes well. It was great to see you guys.

onecent said...

awww you are so wonderful Jamie! Happy 30th!