Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I told you so

When asked by many why I have always wanted to have a girl, I always reply "because my boys will obviously grow up and leave me for another woman." I usually receive a little chuckle, but seriously, SERIOUSLY, i am dead serious. I was hoping that "our breakup of sorts" would be in oh I don't know, another 15-20 years down the road. So, by saying I was caught off gaurd by what happened this weekend would be an understatement. Let me fill you in on the juicy details:



Saturday - I drag the boys to their primary practice. They are less than thrilled to be heading to church on a Saturday where they will have to sit and be reverent and sing songs. Taking a cue from my Mom, I make up something about having a good attitude and ask them what Jesus would want them to do. For some reason this lecture doesn't work and during the practice Max bangs his head on the pew and Jackson rolls his eyes and looks entirely too pre-teen for his 7 years of life.



Sunday- The day of dread for my boys rolls around. (they will grow out of this right?) Meanwhile I have been silently praying that they will get through it without any "special" moments that will be remembered by all and retold the following year. Low and behold Max was a trooper and said his line and was void of any head banging! Jackson actually sang the songs and can you believe he had a smile on his face. I was so impressed!! Prayer does work. :D

Well have you ever heard that prayers are answered through other people? Grrrr.



Here is the dread: Upon arriving home from church, I told Jackson how proud I was of him and that I was so glad he decided to have fun with it instead of being so grumpy. He simply replied "well it's because I saw my Cheryl the whole time." What? I thought the word My was reserved for me, as in My Mom. I can't believe he is already referring to some lady at church as his! What does she have that I don't have? Ok, so maybe she is a geologist and can talk about hot lava and volcanoes with you. Or maybe she is fun and likable, but really??? Your Cheryl already? I am so jealous it hurts. Does she know what your secret favorite color is or how to make your favorite dinner? Will she play legos with you or rub your back while you are hurling in a bowl? I think not!



Needless to say, when the real day comes that Jackson brings home a girlfriend or heaven forbid his fiance, I may need a straight jacket.








At least I have one child that I know will never grow up and leave me for another woman....

6 comments:

The Ferrins said...

That picture of Sadie is seriously out of this world ADORABLE! I love your post, they always make me giggle :) It's so true though, your boys grow up and they forget about mom, while the girls just have a special bond with their mama's !

Cameron and Wendy said...

This post just cracked me up. I love it. You gotta love girls...they definitely cling onto their family. At least I do. :)

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Oh man, that is painful. I too do NOT look forward to that day. Cheryl better sleep with one eye open. Sigh. Good thing you have Sadie. I was noticing how adorable Sadie was in this picture, and I noticed to my delight, she is dressed very cute too! Love the hair bow.

CHO said...

Hilarious!! Seriously, so funny. :D

emily said...

Seriously, I'm still laughing. I laughed out loud and then had a perma grin! I can't wait to see you and the kidos in a few days!

Papa Parrish said...

It will be okay if your boys bring home a cutie like you. I have been very blessed in that department, I have had to learn to share. Nana