Monday, September 21, 2009

What a difference a year makes

Every fall we pack up the kiddos and head to Apple Jack Orchards for a Saturday morning feast. We munch on many foods of the apple variety. We are always sure to get the apple doughnuts, carmel apple rolls, and cider. When we are sufficiently stuffed, we head outside to take some pictures and pick apples. I love that we have started this fall tradition with our family. Every year we snap some photos of our boys in this hollow tree down by the river. (sorry no van) As I was downloading our pics from this year, I started thinking about how our lives have changed and grown drastically over this past year. It is evident just by looking at Jack and Max's pictures, but it's not just looks that have changed.

A year ago Jack was the same friendly, outgoing kid he is today. He was however also very stressed over school and every bit of homework that was sent home. He frequented the school counselor Mrs. Cassiata's room often to talk through outbursts and for being too physical. Transitions and unexpected changes were still a challenge that brought daily "flappy arm" fits. A year has passed and I won't say everything is perfect but drastic improvements have been made. I marveled this morning that he only got upset over one spelling word instead of all ten. Spelling homework used to take about 1/2 hour, now we are done in 5-10 minutes! He's made a few school friends, and things are getting better and better. I love this kid, he's just a great big ball of energy!








Now onto my little Maxers. This picture was taken the day after his hearing loss was diagnosed. Until then, we knew he was developmentally delayed in speech and other areas, we just didn't know the reason behind it. We didn't know how to help because we didn't know what was wrong, it was very frustrating. I'm sure he was doubly frustrated because not only did he not understand us, he couldn't communicate his wants and needs properly and that makes for one grumpy kid at times. Here he is a year later with his hearing aides and catching up faster than I could imagine possible. He is in a mainstream kindergarten class and doing great. Again, I'm not saying everything is all roses, but at this point its pretty darn close!








Lastly, here is our Sister Sadie. Last year at this point she wasn't even a blip on our radar. Now we can't even imagine our family life without her. She is a breathe of fresh air in our crazy family! I wonder what this next year will bring. I hope it is as good, eventful and prosperous as the last!












3 comments:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

What are you feeding those boys, Miracle Grow? Holy smokes they have grown and developed so much. I tend to think after age 3 there isn't as quick and obvious facial and body development, but these pics prove me wrong. Wowza! I need an annual hollow tree pic.

Then there is Miss Sadie, what a cutie. She has her work cut out for her keeping up with her big brothers. I can only imagine what a little dose of pink does to a house full of boys. I'm sure it is divine. :o)

jewly said...

I am glad things are getting easier for your boys. Making new friends helps out a lot. I know I felt a ton better after I made friends out here. That is great that Max can hear now and the problem was solved. and Sadie is beautiful!

Papa Parrish said...

I am so happy for your progress. I pray for you every day, and I am so pleased these children got such good parents who will look out for their growth and development. Thank you for your love and devotion to your family. It makes my heart happy. Nana