Monday, June 21, 2010

1/2 the run, just as fun. Or so they say....

I did it! Saturday I ran the 1/2 Marathon I've been training for!! If I wasn't so sore, I would be doing back flips right about now.

Friday afternoon Maile and I drove up to Duluth to pick up our racing packets and do some carb loading. We were happy to meet up with Carey, Jacey and Camie who were also there for all the running fun. (Carey and Jacey were double the fun - 26.2 miles of fun to be exact) We had all signed up for the spaghetti dinner so we got to get our grub on together.


Maile and I drove up sans family, so we pretended that our girlfriends families came to cheer us on!

I won't bore you with the AWFUL details of our lodging experience, but lets just say Maile and I got a less than stellar night of sleep. This is us all bright eyed and bushy tailed just before dropping off our sweat bags.

We had to park and catch a bus to the start line. The drive seemed like it went on and on and left Maile and I super nervous. As we arrived and I saw the sea of people I was pretty overwhelmed. We were lucky enough to again run into Camie who was also with her friend Catherine.
After waiting for almost an hour, the race began and there was no turning back! It took almost 2 minutes to cross the start line and a couple miles before the massive amounts of runners started to break up enough to get a good pace going.

Catherine ended up running with us because she had about the same goal time as both Maile and myself. This proved to be so helpful because she kept us on pace with her wonderful garmin watch.

The weather was ideal. It was in the 60's, overcast and the last couple miles there was a light mist....loved it!

It's all kind of a blur, but somewhere in the middle we lost Maile. Catherine and I stayed together until about mile 11. Once we got into the city, I got this major rush of adrenaline and picked up my pace quite a bit. The crowds in the city cheering everyone on gave me just the boost I needed to finish strong.

My official finishing time was 2 hours, 5 minutes on the button, which is about a 9:30 a mile pace. I had two goals going into the race: #1-finish without walking and #2 try to get a 2:10 finish. I was happy to meet goal #1, and beat goal #2!

Here's Maile, Camie and I postrace. We look a little beat up, but estatic to be finished!

Also, congrats to Jacey and Carey for being rockstars.....they ran the full marathon and killed it.

8 comments:

Cameron and Wendy said...

Man, I am totally impressed with all of you ladies. Awesome job!

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Way to go Jamie!! I am not surprised, but I am VERY impressed! Sounds like you had a great experience sans the hotel!

Lindsay & Josh said...

Jamie I really am proud/so happy for you! That's awesome. I meant to text you on Friday to wish you good luck. Well I forgot to do that. Then I tried to call from Josh's phone on Sunday to see how it went, but didn't get a hold of you. I'm glad it went so well. Good job, we'll see you soon!

Erin said...

You are a Rock Star! I'm so impressed. I would love to attempt a 1/2 marathon one day. You'll have to give me all your tips!!

emily said...

Way to go girl!!! I'm super proud of you and jealous that I couldn't be there to cheer you on or meet you at the finish line as you did me last year:) Can't wait to see you in july!!!!!!

Beccarigg said...

AWESOME JOB JAMIE!!!! That's such a great feeling to meet and beat your goals for a race! What a great time and great accomplishment! You are looking like one hot skinny mama too btw! Woo woo!

Adrianne said...

Congratulations! I have always known you are a little gazelle! I am almost as proud of you as when you won (we won't mention Pachecho) the sixth grade 1/2 mile race! How fun to run the race with friends, sounds like a great adventure.

BTW I have to add my own favorite sayings for your dad:
1. Move it or milk it
2. Close only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes! I love that man!

Papa Parrish said...

Way to go,Jamie....I'm proud of your healthy lifestyle. Nana