Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What do you do in the summertime?


One morning a friend emailed me about strawberry season, and her favorite patches to pick strawberries. I'm so glad she did because I would have missed the two week window here for good strawberry pickin'. I decided to bravely take all three chitlins to the patch and try to have a little summer fun. The whole time I was picking/keeping kids in line, I was laughing to myself about this blogpost I read a while back. http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2010/03/14/132-picking-their-own-fruit/

I forgot my camera so all I got was a cute shot of Sadie enjoying the fruits of her labor. At one point my kids were a little unruly and an employee politely reminded me that for the safety of the fruit, children must remain within an arms reach of you at all times. We didn't last too much longer after our little reminder. Have you ever tried to keep 3 children at arms length while on your hands and knees digging through patches of strawberries? It's pretty much impossible.

Despite our wild strawberry picking antics, we were able to bring home quite a bundle of strawberries to make 5 batches of freezer jam. Yum!
PS- a little shout out to Certo pectin. It turns out that everyone had the same plan I did, so my favorite pectin was all sold out. I had to use this out of necessity, and I'm so happy I did!! No stove top is needed for this type of pectin. All you do is mix the ingredients for a few minutes and let it sit overnight. No more sitting by the stove stirring and stirring and getting overheated! Love, Love, Love it!

2 comments:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

That looks delicious. The fruits look fab. I imagine it was quite the production!

Papa Parrish said...

Good job, Jamie. Nana